[OpenAFS-devel] Re: More aggressive caching

Asheesh Laroia openafs@asheeshenterprises.com
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 14:02:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Joe Buehler wrote:

> Can you just run "cat file.flac >/dev/null" before playing the file?

I'm using rhythmbox to provide a nice GUI to my parents; though I'm open
to suggestions for other GUIs, the discussion here is GUI-independent.
In jukebox mode (or even in album mode), it would be too much delay
between playing songs.  I could modify the playing program to do:

 	system("cat file.flac > /dev/null &);

as it begins to play, but then if the user skips ahead to another song,
it'll be catting a song no longer needed.  This could lead to scenarios
where, if the user skips enough songs, I could be reading LOTS of files,
so many my bandwidth is being swamped, all for songs the user skipped.

All I really want is a few extra hundred kilobytes of forward buffering.
The AFS cache seems a fair place to have this done, so that's why I ask
here.

-- Asheesh.

--
The Great Movie Posters:

*A Giggle Gurgling Gulp of Glee*
With Pretty Girls, Peppy Scenes, and Gorgeous Revues -- plus a good story.
 		-- Tea with a Kick (1924)

Whoopie!  Let's go!... Hand-picked Beauties doing cute tricks!
GET IN THE KNOW FOR THE HEY-HEY WHOOPIE!
 		-- The Wild Party (1929)

YOU HEAR HIM MAKE LOVE!
DIX -- the dashing soldier!
 	DIX -- the bold adventurer!
 		DIX -- the throbbing lover!
 		-- The Wheel of Life (1929)

SEE CHARLES BUTTERWORTH DRIVE A STREETCAR AND SING LOVE
SONGS TO HIS MARE "MITZIE"!
 		-- The Night is Young (1934)