[OpenAFS-devel] Re: linux 2.6.x (FC2) SMP oops: it's not CONFIG_REGPARM

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:42:05 -0400

On Thursday, June 24, 2004 15:21:19 -0400 Matthew Miller
<mattdm@mattdm.org> wrote:

> The list could be switched
> over to have reply-to-list as the default (which I think is better for
> this exact reason),

That's not going to happen.  Obscuring the original sender's reply-to is a
bad idea, and making "private" replies go instead to the list is a bad idea.

> or alternately, Mailman has a feature called "avoid
> duplicate copies of messages", which intelligently doesn't send you the
> list message if you're on the CC or To lines already.

Maybe in newer versions.  Not in what we're running.
FWIW, that's not the same.  A copy addressed directly to me goes into a
different folder than one delivered by mailman, so if I only get the
former, then following threads becomes impossible.  So I, for one, wouldn't
use such a feature.  Of course, provided it's per-subscriber, I'm happy to
let other people use it.

Last weekend we started preparing some new machines to which we'll be
moving the OpenAFS web site and mailing lists.  When that happens, we'll
have a newer Mailman which will have this and other cool features.

   GRAND.CENTRAL.ORG/OpenAFS.ORG postmaster, webmaster, etc