[OpenAFS-devel] Kernel PAG support

Garrett Wollman wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 21:40:26 -0500 (EST)

<<On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 17:22:57 -0800, "Henry B. Hotz" <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov> said:

> Most BSDs and Solaris seem to work OK with our fake group number hack.

I would like for FreeBSD to use the MAC framework for this; it
provides precisely the sort of "extended credential" mechanism that
AFS wants.  My work on the FreeBSD port has been stalled lately due to
work overload; perhaps I'll have time to look at it in April if Jim
Rees doesn't beat me to it.  Then setpag() becomes a library function
that does:

	mac_t label;
	mac_from_text(&label, "afspag/new");	/* "new" is not meaningful */
	mac_set_proc(label);
	mac_free(label);

It then becomes possible to completely remove a process from a PAG:

	mac_from_text(&label, "afspag/");

...which is a much-requested feature.  The internal representation can
be automatically garbage-collected.

-GAWollman