[OpenAFS-devel] rx_FlushWrite

Soewono Effendi soewono.effendi@sysgo.com
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 18:37:26 +0100

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 14:14:46 -0500
Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> wrote:

> To what end?
well, to the server end, i.e. I need to call "flush" on the client part.

Does it really matter on which end the flush can be done?

> So just write until you're done, then start reading (or call the End stub).
> As soon as something tries to read data from the stream (either you call
> rx_Read, or the stub does), any pending writes will be flushed and the
> stream will be turned around automatically.

What I'm trying to do is something like this:

- server sends client a "get ready" packet, before starting to "bulk sending" data. Since this "get ready" may take some times/resources on the client side, it's better for the client to get prepare earlier before the "bulk transfer" begins.
- as soon as the "get ready" packet is flushed, the server starts immediatelly to bulk transfer data. It's up the the client if it wants to keep or drop the data, and the server doesn't care neither.

Since rx_FlushWrite closes the stream, the above scenario will not work.

Surelly there might be some other way to implement the above scenario, what I just have to implement it that way ;)

But any way, thanks for the reply.

best regards,
Soewono

--
>> S. Effendi                         soewono.effendi @ sysgo . com
SYSGO AG                              http://www.sysgo.com
Am Pfaffenstein 14                    Tel. +49 6136 99 48 0
55270 Klein-Winternheim - Germany     Fax. +49 6136 99 48 10