[OpenAFS-devel] openafs in the base kernel?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Tue, 04 May 2004 11:30:58 -0400

Alexander Mirgorodsky <mirgorodsky@yahoo.com> writes:

> Folks,
>
> Has anybody tried building openafs-client into the base Linux kernel
> (i.e., not as a module)? Is that feasible at all? My code analysis
> project needs a fully-resolved and relocated ELF image of the module
> and that seems like the first thing to try.

No, it cannot be built into the base kernel.  You might be able
to hack in a kernel build system, but it would be a lot of work for,
IMHO, little gain.

What do you mean by "fully-resolved and relocated ELF image of the
module"?  IMHO any tool that can't use loadable modules is broken
and should get fixed to allow loadable modules.  Even kgdb handles
loadable modules!  If a debugger can do it, so can anything else.

> Thanks,
> Alex

-derek