[OpenAFS-devel] openafs in the base kernel?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
Tue, 04 May 2004 15:56:12 -0400

"chas williams (contractor)" <chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:

> In message <sjmzn8oqkel.fsf@dogbert.ihtfp.org>,Derek Atkins writes:
>>No, it cannot be built into the base kernel.  You might be able
>>to hack in a kernel build system, but it would be a lot of work for,
>>IMHO, little gain.
>
> this reminds me that at one point there was talking of putting atleast
> part of openafs into the linux kernel.  the filesystem specific bits
> anyway so that they would be 'maintained' (or atleast kept up to date).
>
> with the ibm copyright i dont think this is currrently possible though.

Yep.  I was thinking about it YEARS ago, but the license issues were
just too large to cope with.  My hope at the time was to have a script
to convert between the OpenAFS sourcetree and the Linux sourcetree
(assuming they layout was different) and then allowing us to easily
port changes back and forth.  But it was the license issues, not the
technical issues, that kept it from ever happening.

And then there was the issue of the failed "AFS rewrite"....

-derek