[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] 2.6 kernel support anytime soon? Workarounds?

Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org
Tue, 11 May 2004 16:00:58 -0400

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 03:54:32PM -0400, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:
> >Think larger than "a machine".
> I do, every day.  But really, just because you manage lots of machines
> doesn't mean you have to make every decision and perform every task
> separately for each one.

I manange machines in an environment _larger than myself_.

> And the statement stands.  Either you have control over a machine, or you
> don't.  If you do, then when you decide that machine is going to run AFS,
> you're going to also have to commit to setting aside some GID space.

Okay, then I don't.

> Making that decision for every machine simultaneously makes the task
> _easier_, not harder, if you've done things right.

Well, I don't have the option of having things "done right", even for this
bizarre definition of "right".

> If you'd rather have a PAG mechanism that doesn't depend on storing data in
> the supplementary groups list, join the club.  Convince your OS vendor(s)
> to adopt a mechanism that provides what we need.

This is indeed the "club" I'm in. It's a broken mechanism and shouldn't be
used.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>