[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] 2.6 kernel support anytime soon? Workarounds?

Mitch Collinsworth mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu
Tue, 11 May 2004 19:00:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> And the statement stands.  Either you have control over a machine, or you
> don't.  If you do, then when you decide that machine is going to run AFS,
> you're going to also have to commit to setting aside some GID space.
> Making that decision for every machine simultaneously makes the task
> _easier_, not harder, if you've done things right.

I don't recall ever being told to do this, either in the Transarc
training class or in the manuals.  And frankly I never gave it much
thought.  Until today.

Do you tell students and others when telling them to install the AFS
client if they want to use the departmental filesystem from their
machines that they have to avoid using a range of gids?  We don't.
Does anyone?

-Mitch