[OpenAFS-devel] volume id selection...

Neulinger, Nathan nneul@umr.edu
Fri, 21 May 2004 15:04:37 -0500

I've got a situation on my fileservers where clones are getting left
around and not going away due to backups... I can clean them up
manually, but something I thought of is that it sure would be nice if
the volume ID's for temporary backup and release clones would be
selected from a distinct range from volumes than the regular volumes.
i.e. take the current high end of the volume ids for real volumes, and
add 1_000_000_000 to it or something like that. Then it would be real
clear looking at the volheaders whether the vol should be going away...=20

Alternatively, is there any way to tell from the volinfo header output
if a volume header should be removed? running salvages over everything
is not an ideal solution. I'm doing cleanup based on looking up if the
volume ids exist currently, but would be nice to have something more
concrete.

-- Nathan

University of Missouri - Rolla         Phone: (573) 341-6679
UMR Information Technology             Fax: (573) 341-4216