[OpenAFS-devel] kernel locking

Garrett Wollman wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 17:05:44 -0500 (EST)

<<On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 15:19:39 -0500, "John S. Bucy" <bucy-openafs-devel@gloop.org> said:

> plausible that reducing its use of the GLOCK might be beneficial. It
> seems like it shouldn't be much work to add some finer-grained locking
> here; I'm just not sure what locks I should be using.  The afs/lock.h
> ones?

Hmmm.  In my FreeBSD port, I implemented the GLOCK with a mutex.  You
can't sleep while holding a mutex, so it gets automatically dropped by
the OSI sleep/delay code.  (I've never tested this particular code
path and plan to replace it -- in my CFT -- so I don't know whether
this is actually safe to do in this case.)

-GAWollman