[OpenAFS-devel] OpenAFS on 2.4.26 ? OpenMosix ?

Terry Gliedt tpg@umich.edu
Mon, 08 Nov 2004 08:32:37 -0500

Harald Barth wrote:
>>I'm attempting to get OpenAFS support in an OpenMosix kernel. The only
>>stable OpenMosix kernel for our situation is 2.4.26. Has anyone manged
>>to get OpenAFS client working on a 2.4.26 kernel?
>

> I tried Mosix+Arla a long time ago but back then the Mosix stuff was so
> i386 (endian?) dependent that it did not even compile on sparc which
> was what I had available back then. A lot has happened since then,
> but I don't have any newer information for you.
>

>>I realize the cluster nodes cannot use AFS, but it would be very
>>useful to have AFS client available on the gateway machine.
>

> Why would the cluster nodes be limited in such a way?

Oh right. Of course. I wsa thinking about our particular cluster
configuration in which the nodes are dedicated on a private network.
They do not have internet access as there is no NAT IP forwarding
provided. Other configurations could use regular machines on the
network. Sorry for the confusion.

I guess this is as good as any time to tell you all that

(1) OpenAFS 1.3.73 compiles just fine with a 2.4.26 kernel. All I needed
was a symlink to the hpc directory to get it to compile.

(2) So far OpenAFS and OpenMosix get along OK. I've not tested this very
much (I'm running right now on this configuration with X11+KDE and a few
other things), but so far it's not paniced. Hardly an endorsement, but I
plan to test this more completely today.

In any case this is further than I had thought I was going to get. I'll
report back in a day or so after I have a more firm conclusion.

Terry Gliedt     tpg@umich.edu       http://www.hps.com/~tpg/
Biostatistics, Univ of Michigan  Personal Email:  tpg@hps.com