[OpenAFS-devel] OpenAFS on 2.4.26 ? OpenMosix ?

Miles Davis miles@cs.stanford.edu
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:31:39 -0800

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 09:15:44AM -0500, Terry Gliedt wrote:

> I can now confirm the combination of a  2.4.26 kernel  + 1.3.73 OpenAFS
> works just fine. Adding OpenMosix will immediately results in this symptom:
>
>   SSH with X11 forwarding to OpenMosix+OpenAFS machine
>   Observe messages about a fail in locking .Xauthority file
>
> What apparently is happening is that as X11 attempts to add a new entry
> to .Xauthority, it creates .Xauthority-n and presumably does a move
> which fails. This results in the user's .Xauthority "disappearing". A
> simple 'mv .Xauthority-n .Xauthority' allows X11 to work properly again.
>
> I presume this has something to do with locking, but that's just my
> guess. I've seen other strangeness in AFS behavior also which may be
> related (or not), however the ssh scenario I mention above has been my
> lithmus test.

I've had that happen several times on 1.3.73 clients, so it probably has
nothing to do with openMosix. I haven't tried 1.3.74 yet, but you should
probably give that a try.

--
// Miles Davis - miles@cs.stanford.edu - http://www.cs.stanford.edu/~miles
// Computer Science Department - Computer Facilities