[OpenAFS-devel] byte-range locking

Joe Buehler jbuehler@hekimian.com
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:01:44 -0400

If I understand the existing code correctly, a server process
(I don't know which one -- fileserver?) keeps track of clients that have
exclusive or non-exclusive locks on a file.  Clients are
responsible for keeping track of which processes have such locks.

So it looks as though it should be easy to add local byte-range
locking for processes on a single machine.  Read locks would be
propagated to the server as shared locks, and write locks would
propagate as exclusive locks, and the byte ranges would be
handled in the local client kernel code.

Does someone already have patches for this perhaps?
--
Joe Buehler