[OpenAFS-devel] Anyone supporting multiple realms in a "all realms are equal" type of setup?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:45:03 -0400

On Wednesday, September 22, 2004 10:54:32 -0500 "Douglas E. Engert"
<deengert@anl.gov> wrote:

> You mentioned using an arbitrary gssapi with RX.

No; I mentioned using arbitrary GSS mechanisms to authenticate rxgk.

> If you use this approach
> vs a mapping service, you will need to support the arbitrary gssapi in
> the client's kernel as well as all the services.

No.

> An arbitrary gssapi may
> not give you access to the session keys, but require you to use
> gs_wrap/unwrap whihc might be more overhead then you want.

No.

You should read about how rxgk actually works.  Yes, you can do Kerberos
and just use the session key.  But in the long term the intended usage is
to use GSS to sign a key exchange.

> Only the initial token issuing mapping service need to be aware of the
> gssapi issues introduced with arbitrary GSSAPI.

You're still stuck in the old world, where you have to bash everything into
something that has a single-DES key and a name that looks something like a
krb4 principal.

We're trying to design the new world, in which you do native authentication
and a service that administrators can actually manage (like the ptserver)
maintains a set of arbitrary mappings between authentication identities and
vice ID's.  It doesn't have to be the ptserver; it could be a separate
service, but it seems silly to have a double-mapping where you first start
with an authentication-mechanism-specific service that maps things to a
name, and then remap the name to the identity you actually care about.
That's going backwards.

-- Jeff