[OpenAFS-devel] New AFS cell: MIT aklog fails; Heimdal aklog works

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:22:01 +0200

On Sep 27, 2004, at 12:58 AM, Asheesh Laroia wrote:

> I'm setting up a new AFS cell, but there is clearly some breakage
> around.  I'm using OpenAFS 1.3.70 as packaged by Sam Hartman in Debian
> Experimental, because I had some problems using the 1.2.11 client in
> Debian Testing with the 1.3.71 kernel module (which I compiled from
> source).
>
> On the AFS server (kiwi.gooftroop.org), I'm using the krb5-* series of
> packages from Debian, which are MIT Kerberos.  On kiwi, I can
> authenticate fine to the realm GOOFTROOP.ORG using kinit, and then run
> aklog (from the openafs-krb5 package) to get access to AFS space.
>
> (Hooray!  Almost.)
>
> On a Debian GNU/Linux client renaissance, kinit works fine to
> authenticate to the realm.  afsd is running, and "ls /afs" works fine.
> But when I use aklog to get AFS tokens, I get:
>
> <transcript>
> paulproteus@renaissance:~$ aklog -d
> Authenticating to cell gooftroop.org (server kiwi.gooftroop.org).
> We've deduced that we need to authenticate to realm GOOFTROOP.ORG.
> Getting tickets: afs/gooftroop.org@GOOFTROOP.ORG
> About to resolve name paulproteus to id in cell gooftroop.org.
> Id 2
> Set username to AFS ID 2
> Setting tokens. AFS ID 2 /  @ GOOFTROOP.ORG
> aklog: unable to obtain tokens for cell gooftroop.org (status: a
> pioctl failed).
> </transcript>

Are you sure your kernel module is there??
I usually get that error on some platforms when the kernel module isn't
properly loaded/inserted.
For aklog your AFS Module has to be there and be initialized.

Horst