[OpenAFS-devel] 1.4.0 largefile support question

Peter Somogyi psomogyi@gamax.hu
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 12:40:17 +0100

Hi Horst,

Thanks for the info.

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 12.17, Horst Birthelmer wrote:
>  From the context above, I'm not sure, what you're trying to do.
> You're calling 'dd' in an AFS directory and the volume mounted there
> is on a AIX fileserver, right?
AIX 5.2 problem is a different one. I still haven't tried writting any large file on AIX.
The problem is different on AIX: turning on the largefileserver compiler flag makes "vos dump" fail at server side because of a 64-bit type safety issue.
After fixing that issue, I have run into filesystem corruption, too.
So it's not a JFS or other limitation issue there.
See the ticket I've mentioned in the link in my prev. mail.

For Linux the problem is different.

> You're sure the client has a 'largefile enabled' AFS?
> You're sure the server can write more that 4GB?
> Try doing that directly on the device on the server. (/viceXX) Just
> the same 'dd' call for making sure your server is able to write more
> than 4GB.
I'm trusting our testers, so I still haven't checked these trivial conditions (they stated they have enough space at server side).
Now that I see it's not an experimental feature, I'm going deeper to check them.

--
Peter Somogyi
Software Developer, Gamax Ltd.