[OpenAFS-devel] Linux 2.6.12 kernel BUG at fs/namei.c:1189

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Sat, 10 Dec 2005 20:31:22 -0500

On Saturday, December 10, 2005 05:22:47 PM -0800 Russ Allbery
<rra@stanford.edu> wrote:

> Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz@cmu.edu> writes:
>
>> You don't have a /proc/ksyms because there is no such file on 2.6.
>> Don't run ksymoops on output from 2.6 kernels.
>
> Aha.
>
> Is there something else I should be using instead, or is what's in the BUG
> (which is reproduced by ksymoops so far as I can tell) all that one gets?

You don't run anything.  The purpose of ksymoops was to analyze the OOPS
message and augment addresses with symbol names; that's why it wants to
read /proc/ksyms.  In 2.6, the kernel itself will report the correct
symbols, so a postprocessor is not necessary.

In any case, BUG is Linux's equivalent of osi_Panic; the thing to do is to
locate the place where it was called, and see if you can figure out what
was going on.

-- Jeff