[OpenAFS-devel] aklog Makefile

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 21 Dec 2005 10:43:06 -0800

Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> writes:

> "eh".  I'm not sure I agree with that; at our site, users don't run
> aklog directly, something else runs it for them.  I could switch to
> another command and I doubt anyone would notice.  I know, not everyone
> is in this boat.  But in hindsight, I doubt the Heimdal aklog was worth
> it just for consistency's sake (at least it wasn't worth it for me).
> It's not like the pooch hasn't been completely screwed regarding aklog
> support anyway, regardless of porting it to Heimdal.

I understand you're frustrated that packagers didn't update immediately,
but it's really necessary to have a lot of patience with things like
this.  I know the issue for Debian was that we have a separate
openafs-krb5 package that provides several programs, not just aklog, and
trying to build the OpenAFS aklog while still pulling asetkey and
ka-forwarder is a tricky and annoying migration.

As soon as OpenAFS provides all the necessary pieces, the migration is
much easier, since the OpenAFS source package can just start building the
openafs-krb5 package and it can contain the same contents as before.

The problems that users are reporting are the same problems that users
always had.  There isn't a disasterous failure here, just improvement that
isn't happening as fast as might be ideal.

Getting aklog into a stable OpenAFS release is just the *first* step.