[OpenAFS-devel] using system inodes on linux

Jason McCormick jasonmc@cert.org
Fri, 08 Jul 2005 17:16:58 -0400

--On Thursday, June 30, 2005 01:31:22 PM -0400 chas williams - CONTRACTOR
<chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> here is a patch that changes the linux client to use system allocated
> inodes.  it tends to follow the OSF code paths for allocation and release
> of the system inodes:  a reference is held on the inode while in the VLRU.

> against 1.3.84:
>
> ftp://ftp.cmf.nrl.navy.mil/pub/chas/openafs/dynamic-inode-patch-1.3.84

I'm trying the 1.3.84 patch in an attempt to clear up crashing problems
we're having on FC3 hosts (Linux 2.6.11).  I've encountered a new error
I've not seen before and suspect it's from this patch since that's the only
thing that's changed in my AFS setup.  I deployed the patched yesterday
afternoon and this has happened today.  I seemed to lose privileges to the
cell - even though I still had tokens.  I unlog-ed and aklog-ed again to
get new tokens but I still had no access.  dmesg (and /var/log/messages)
reported a string of the following:

  Jul  8 16:11:12 devrandom kernel: afs: failed to store file (110)

When I shutdown for a reboot, I got an error during the filesystem
unmounting:

  Failed to invalidate all pages on inode 0xNNNNNNNN

where NNNNNNN was a whole list of hex numbers.  I got about 20 of those
messages and then the box froze.  I didn't lose network connectivity or
anything during this time and the file servers appear to be fine.

--
Jason McCormick <jasonmc@cert.org>
CERT Infrastructure Team