[OpenAFS-devel] Possible 1.3.85 fileserver/volserver problem

Robert Banz banz@umbc.edu
Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:00:37 -0400

Hi,

I upgraded two (pretty busy) fileservers from 1.3.84 to 1.3.85 last
Sunday.  Everthing seemed to be working right, however, last night both
of them got into the meltdown syndrome where they 'busy' all requests
causing much badness to clients that were using them.

The platform is Solaris 10 amd64, up to current patch.

Unfortunatly, I can't provide much debugging information on this -- it
happened at 2am, so I wasn't quite in the mental state for "collecting
information".  No out-of-the ordinary messages were in the fileserver or
volserver logs; the only 'out of the ordinary' event that was occuring
at the time is that it was well in the middle of our backup window.
 From what i could tell, .backup snapshot creation had finished about 20
minutes before things started to go bad, and it looks like
dumping-to-tape had begun.  Could there be any open fileserver/volserver
IPC issues?

-rob