[OpenAFS-devel] Possible 1.3.85 fileserver/volserver problem

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 01:25:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Robert Banz wrote:

> Esther Filderman wrote:
>> Yesterday a machine at CMU went nuts, at best guess, and started
>> spewing crappy packets at every server in the CSDB it ran into.
>> Machines either dumped core & restarted or got into an
>> overbusy/overloaded/bogged down state.
>>
>> The machine was removed from the network at about midnight EST.
>>
>> This machine is not under my domain.  Hopefully the folks who do
>> control the machine will help us try to figure out what went wrong.
>>

> Has there been any further information regarding this?
>
> Call me crazy, but if there is some sort of "achilles heal" to the AFS
> fileserver, I'd sure like to know about it ;)

You're crazy.

Seriously, with no information from your fileserver it's hard to
attribute that to this client; Every server I know of which had problems
was pre-1.2.13, other than yours, and the other cases all had evidence
pointing back to this rogue machine.