[OpenAFS-devel] [Patch] add module license macro to Linux kernel module

Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org
Fri, 6 May 2005 13:50:08 -0400

The attached patch addes MODULE_LICENSE("IBM Public License Version 1.0");
to the Linux kernel module.

The whole "kernel taint" thing I'm sure everyone has strong opinions about,
especially when it's applied to perfectly good projects with open source /
free software licenses. I don't mean to start a flamewar (or, ideally, not
even a discussion) about that -- however, I think it'd be *beter* if the
message weren't "libafs: module license 'unspecified' taints kernel", which
can look kind of scary. So, this makes it be "libafs: module license 'IBM
Public License Version 1.0' taints kernel" instead, which is at least more
informative and will hopefully lead to more useful information if someone
does a Google search. (With the current "unspecified's tring, the top hits
are about actual binary-only proprietary modules.)

I'm slightly tempted to make it be "Open Source Initiative-approved IBM
Public License Version 1.0", but hey.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>