[OpenAFS-devel] [Patch] add module license macro to Linux kernel module

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 8 May 2005 00:36:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 7 May 2005, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:

> What is the real (or perceived) conflict with the IBM public license and
> the GPL?

The conflict is that the IBM Public License is not the GPL, so if your
church, temple or synagogue precludes you from loking at non-copyleft
code, you risk being forced to gouge out your eyes if you were to
inadvertantly download IBM Public License code and look at it while trying
to track a bug.

Seriously, I have no idea, and I have brick walls in my house which are
more likely to move if I keep hitting them with my head, so I decided to
stick with those.

> I don't really see what is not legitimate about the license checking
> scheme though. I'm tempted to submit a patch to the kernel that adds a
> 'TAINT_OSS_MODULE' flag to indicate that an OSI approved, but not
> necessarily GPL compatible module was loaded.

Good luck.