[OpenAFS-devel] automatically spawning afsd from kernelspace?

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Tue, 17 May 2005 22:40:23 -0700

Troy Benjegerdes <hozer@hozed.org> writes:

> Frankly, the /etc/init.d scripts are crap, and should be thrown away and
> re-written from scratch, ideally with some in-line docs on tuning
> parameters.

> hacks there of are looking in several different places. And no, I don't
> have time to re-write them, I'm just being a whiner right now.

The reason, as I understand it, why insmod is used rather than modprobe is
that the init script is handling the traditional AFS case where the module
lives in /usr/vice/etc rather than in the kernel module tree.  This is
still rather convenient at times for us AFS old-timers, although I agree
that it's not an attractive option for packages (and indeed, the Debian
init script has diverged in several respects, that being one of them).

I honestly have no idea what all the prefix stuff is for; Debian disables
it all and gets away with it, but I don't know why that is.