[OpenAFS-devel] pthreads, darwin, microsoft: untwisting the knot

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 27 May 2005 11:28:53 -0400

On Friday, May 27, 2005 07:51:43 AM -0400 Jim Rees <rees@umich.edu> wrote:

> That seems pretty complicated.  Why not just have a separate
> rxkad_InitPthread routine and make applications call it?  Are there a lot
> of existing applications that would break?

There are a lot of existing applications that use rxkad, and not all of
them are in the OpenAFS tree.  Adding a new initialization routine which
applications MUST call or risk bad things happening is not a
backward-compatible API change.

We _know_ we have out-of-tree code that uses our API's.  Let's not make the
mistake of not caring if we break them, like some other projects...

-- Jeff