[OpenAFS-devel] 1.3.X: Problem with many connections exhausting resources?

Horst Birthelmer horst@riback.net
Mon, 30 May 2005 21:46:32 +0200

On May 30, 2005, at 7:27 PM, Harald Barth wrote:

>> I'm not sure about the platform you're seeing this on.
>> This is Linux, right?
>>

> The "server down" problem has only been seen on Linux, but that can be
> an statistical reason. I think Linux is responsible for 99.5% of the
> data.

Ok, you're having that problem on the server side?
I only saw that on a client which is also a server at the same time.
It simply lost all connections and didn't recover until reboot
(around 18 - 20 hours later when I noticed).
Since it looked pretty much like a weird network problem (I couldn't
ping 'localhost' as well) I didn't actually started a serious
investigation ;-) whatsoever. I just rebooted the box and it was
fine, but now with your complains maybe we actually have a problem
somewhere in there...

>> I saw something similar on AIX a few weeks ago. But then after one
>> day the box didn't recover and I rebooted, since AFS ran completely
>> unusable.
>>

> I have seen the "many connections" indication that something might
> be wrong on AIX, Tru and Linux.

Horst