[OpenAFS-devel] Operation timed out

Pucky Loucks ploucks@h2st.com
Thu, 3 Nov 2005 14:29:38 -0800

I have a cell running 1.4.0-rc8 with 6 servers in total and a client
running 1.4.1rc1 OSX 10.4.2.

3 afs db's
3 fileservers
1 osx client

currently I have an application that load balances writes to the 3
file servers.  For example when I need to write a file I call my
FileManager class and ask for a file, which it returns a created file
from one of the 3 fileservers and the application writes to the
FileOutputStream.   Currently round robin writes happen to 1 of the
three servers.  While my application is running full steam writing
files, I've shut down fileserver3, which is fine because the
FileManager class tries to write to that server get's an exception
and then tries the next inline until it can create the file.  All is
good at this point, until I bring fileserver3 backup (I'm really just
doing a "bos stop fileserver3 fs" and "bos start fileserver3 fs") I
still get an exception "Operation timed out" and no new files are
written to fileserver3.

I've opened a terminal and tried to create a file in a volume that is
on fileserver3 and I get the " Operation timed out", but when I try
the same thing from a 1.4.0-rc8 box it works fine.  So in short it
looks like a bug in the Mac 1.4.1-rc1. (which is running the
application and using the afs client to write to the cell)

What info can I get you to verify that this a bug in the OSX latest
version?

Thanks

Pucky