[OpenAFS-devel] debugging symbols...

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 13:26:41 -0800

Robert Banz <banz@umbc.edu> writes:

> I was just wondering if there would be any reception to the idea of
> making the default configuration of the AFS code build with debugging
> symbols (-g?) enabled?  For when (not if) you ever experience some sort
> of server problem, having some more symbols around never seems to hurt.
>  I can't think of any reasons against it, as all it tends to do is make
> the binary a little "fatter" -- and that much virtual memory usage
> usually isn't an issue these days.

The current handling of CFLAGS in general is kind of nuts (and as near as
I can tell, the Autoconf options that are supposed to fiddle with them
don't actually work).  This is something that I'd like to look at and
overhaul in general, as it's caused a few bug reports in Debian, but not
until after I deal with documentation issues.  Which is what I was going
to start on last weekend, but then I got sick.  *wry grin*

Anyway, I'd love to see manipulation of CFLAGS and one's chosen compiler
work better, and plan on working on this, but not immediately.  I can try
to review patches if anyone else provides them, though.