[OpenAFS-devel] New branch in CVS: openafs-stable-1_4_0-branch (tiger and byte range locks)

Kyle Moffett mrmacman_g4@mac.com
Sat, 8 Oct 2005 01:51:39 -0400

On Oct 8, 2005, at 00:50:00, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Kyle Moffett wrote:
>> I've discovered that all the OpenAFS commands return "Invalid
>> Argument", which leads me to suspect that somehow the syscall
>> isn't being properly registered, but I really have no clue where
>> to look to try to fix this.  Do you have any advice for me?  Thanks!
>
> You using old binaries? No system call, magic file.

Oh. Doh.  *whacks self in forehead with large book*.  I had an old
OpenAFS 1.2 for OS X install lying around on this drive.  It's
removed now and the real commands appear to work properly.  I did
have one more issue that forced me to restart, though.  Some
combination of ls in a terminal and browsing in the Finder caused a
complete AFS hang (some kind of AFS deadlock?)  It seemed like
everything /afs related hung, so I suspect a process with the
AFS_GLOCK was sleeping on something that was never going to wake up.
I was browsing through /afs with -dynroot -afsdb -fakestat and the
standard cell list, a couple disappeared in the Finder, I got bored
with the Finder and closed that window (after turning off the option
to show the number of subfolders which made opening that folder take
forever and maybe hung stuff).  Then I tried to ls in a terminal and
that's when I noticed the hang.  Is there some kind of magic
quadruple-bucky-cokebottle keyboard combo or other magic I can do to
try to track these down or get more info about what's hanging?  This
eventually even hung the reboot process (like the earlier double-afsd
issue I had).

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
I lost interest in "blade servers" when I found they didn't throw
knives at people who weren't supposed to be in your machine room.