[OpenAFS-devel] Cannot start afsd with 30GB cache

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:12:24 -0400

On Monday, October 10, 2005 05:12:35 PM +0200 Martin MOKREJ=A9=20
<mmokrejs@ribosome.natur.cuni.cz> wrote:

> afsd: Can't mount AFS on /afs(2)

errno 2 is ENOENT.  Does /afs exist?

> I have in CellServeDB not only my cell definitions but also of other
> world cells. Does that clash with the -afsdb or -dynroot flag? Actually,
> would someone tell me what these two do exactly?

-afsdb enables support for finding database servers for a cell by looking=20
for an AFSDB record in the DNS.  This is done only for cells for which=20
there is _not_ local configuration information provided by the CellServDB=20
or using 'fs newcell'.

-dynroot causes the cache manager to use a dynamically-generated root=20
volume, rather than one provided by some fileserver.  The dynamic root=20
contains both RO and RW mount points for every known cell (configured=20
through CellServDB, fs newcell, or discovered via AFSDB lookup), and=20
symbolic links for aliases defined in the CellAlias file or using fs=20
newalias.

When afsdb and dynroot support are both enabled, /afs also behaves=20
something like an automounter.  If you try to look up a name that's not=20
there, the cache manager will query for an AFSDB record and, if one is=20
found, configure the new cell and add it to /afs.

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer