[OpenAFS-devel] time synchronization status

David Thompson thomas@cs.wisc.edu
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:25:42 -0500

Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

>> seth vidal wrote:
>> You should not rely on AFS for time synchronization.
>
>BTW, this statement has nothing to do with whether or not we've been
>planning on eliminating the feature.  It's been true for a very long time.
>If you need halfway-decent time synchronization (and for AFS, you do), then
>you should be using NTP.
>
>All major operating systems ship with functional NTP clients.  Most ship
>with serviceable default configurations (if you are running a large site
>the polite thing to do is run your own servers to keep off-site traffic to
>a minimum).  There really is no good reason not to use it.

OK.  This has been The Answer regarding time sync for as many years as I've
been around afs/openafs.  IMHO, a 1.4 release would be an excellent time to
deprecate the time sync bits, and the next stable release a good time to
remove them.

If functionality 'should not be used', it should not be available.

Dave Thompson
UW-Madison