[OpenAFS-devel] 50 second fetch-data?

Harald Barth haba@pdc.kth.se
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:17:31 +0200 (MEST)

I found another issue that might be related. This happens when the client
changes IP addr and the server kind of "does not seem to get it".

Versions: Client 1.4.0-rc5. Server 1.4.0-rc7.

IPs: Client changes from 130.237.237.21 to 130.237.221.63
     Server 130.237.232.199

Capture file: /afs/pdc.kth.se/home/h/haba/Public/openafs27-switchover.cap
Contains only rx between the hosts in question and icmp.type==unreachable.

If you look at frame 1-5 everything works at 130.237.237.21 (home).
When I have moved my laptop it does a get-time from 130.237.232.63
(work), see frame 26.

During my absence from the net the server does a lot of probeuuid
which of course yield in ICMP host unreachable. The stupid thing now
is that the server and the client seem not to be able to establish the
fact that 130.237.237.21 -> 130.237.221.63 in a reasonable amount of
time. The first thing I did after reconnecting to the net is getting a
new token and some "ls" in different dirs. Client behaviour towards
the user was first a "Connection timed out" message and later hangs
which are just long enough to annoy me.

I see a probe-uuid in frame 32 and what looks like a broken answer in
frame 33. Is that the reason why the server stubbornly sends packets
to 130.237.237.21 (frames 45-56) in spite of it talking to
130.237.221.63 at the same time? I'd love to see some comments if this
is "normal" behaviour for this situation.

If someone took the time to explain to me how a IP addr change of
the client is supposed to work, that would be appreciated. Especially
how to distinguish between "new interface" and "changed IP addr" on
a client interface.

Is there any utility that can query the uuid from the client? Is there
any utility that can query the uuid to IP map from the server?

Harald.

PS: If using ethereal, you probably want the patch I posted previously
(or something similar).