[OpenAFS-devel] delays and lost contact with fileserver with 1.3.84 and higher

Alexander Bergolth leo@strike.wu-wien.ac.at
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:10:44 +0100

On 10/31/2005 02:17 PM, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> Alexander Bergolth wrote:

> This patch is most certainly not related to your problems.  The patch
> removes a race condition that allowed rx threads to sleep forever.

It is this patch that causes the stalls on my system:

http://www.openafs.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/openafs/src/rx/rx.c#rev1.58.2.19

- -------------------- snipp! --------------------
DELTA STABLE14-rx-fpq-bulk-free-20050529
AUTHOR tkeiser@psu.edu
FIXES 19027

After profiling RX for a while, I've found a few more bottlenecks in the
packet handling code.  This patch addresses a couple of these issues.
The major change in this patch is a new API to allow bulk packet
alloc/free ops on rx_queue's of packets.  Benefits include reduced lock
contention on rx_freePktQ_lock, elimination of a lot of unnecessary cache
line invalidates, and reduced register window thrashing on sparc.

In addition, this patch dedicates one rx_packet per thread to rxi_SendAck,
since that function is in the critical path, and represents a large
percentage of execution time.

http://www.openafs.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/openafs/src/rx/rx.c.diff?r1=1.58.2.18&r2=1.58.2.19

I reverted it in 1.3.84 and now the delays are gone.

Cheers,
- --leo
- --
Alexander.Bergolth@wu-wien.ac.at                Fax: +43-1-31336-906050
Zentrum fuer Informatikdienste - Wirtschaftsuniversitaet Wien - Austria