[OpenAFS-devel] salvager stuck on one file?

Miles Davis miles@CS.Stanford.EDU
Thu, 20 Apr 2006 13:28:46 -0700

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 04:51:24PM +0200, Rainer Toebbicke wrote:
> Jim Rees wrote:
> >I wonder if the fsync is really necessary.  This would go a hundred times
> >faster without it.
>
> 200 times on a standard RAID. Measured.
>
> While I don't believe it's necessary, I did not dare to remove it
> entirely, believing in the good reasons that must have motivated
> somebody to fsync in the first place.
>
> Instead, I came up with a patch that batches all the fsyncs together
> into one on a suitable scale. We've been running like that for over a
> year now with no ill effects. On the contrary - it motivated migrating
> to the namei file server instead of the inode one which will still do
> this inside the file system through inc()/dec().
>
> I'll dig that one out and submit it.

Please do -- I recall reading about your patch earlier, but I can't seem to
find a copy.

--
// Miles Davis - miles@cs.stanford.edu - http://www.cs.stanford.edu/~miles
// Computer Science Department - Computer Facilities