[OpenAFS-devel] solaris 10 x86 64-bit lwp compile issues

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:29:16 -0500

In message <217964d60612150555q621089eek24f5467c2e957dd8@mail.gmail.com>,"Tom K
eiser" writes:
>If this were sun4{u,v}, I would have brought out the clue-by-four long
>ago (sparcv8plus is your friend!).  However, we're talking about
>amd64.  Most of the benchmarks seem to be showing that the performance
>gains due to increased register file size and width outweigh the
>losses due to the ILP32->LP64 datamodel transition.

some of the sparc debugging tools only work on 64-bit binaries when
running on a 64-bit kernel as i recall.  this is one reason i moved
back to 32-bit to do debugging on solaris at one point.