[OpenAFS-devel] nat mode

Roland Kuhn rkuhn@e18.physik.tu-muenchen.de
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 10:53:45 +0100

--Apple-Mail-21-715151801

Hi Jeff!

On 15 Feb 2006, at 16:12, Jeffrey Altman wrote:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Quoting Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@secure-endpoints.com>:
>> True, but a) that assumes multiple clients behind a NAT (which
>> isn't always
>> the case), and b) server support to track by port was added a
>> while ago,
>> even if there are still bugs in it.
>
> The port tracking code was broken enough that it might as well have
> not
> been there.  Once the connection dropped the server would always
> attempt
> to contact the client on port 7001 regardless of what port was used.
>
> If you had more than one client behind a NAT, only one of the clients
> would ever get callback breaks.
>
> I haven't thought through all of the ramifications of decreasing the
> time between pings for a large number of clients.  Too be honest, I
> don't want to.  My head hurts enough already.

It seems like this UDP-based NAT has a lot more problems than I was
aware of. If the firewall were to do NAT based on the RX connections
instead, would that work? What I have in mind is a scheme where a
(potentially large) number of clients are behind a firewall which
looks to a server like a single client with very many open RX
connections, all on port 7001. Are there limitations? Does anybody
know of a RX-aware connection tracking code?

Ciao,
                     Roland

--
TU Muenchen, Physik-Department E18, James-Franck-Str., 85748 Garching
Telefon 089/289-12575; Telefax 089/289-12570

--Apple-Mail-21-715151801
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-21-715151801--