[OpenAFS-devel] keyring/pag support for linux

Harald Barth haba@pdc.kth.se
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 17:32:37 +0200 (MEST)

> The problem I've got is that I discussed this with another kernel engineer who,
> when I mentioned this was for OpenAFS, promised that he'd get Linus to revert
> any patch I put any specifically for OpenAFS.  As far as he's concerned, it's
> illegal to load OpenAFS into the kernel because you violate the licence:-(

I think he should leave decisions of legal issues to the courts. No
court has ruled for or against loading a kernel module to violate any
license. Or making available the possibility to load said kernel module.

The license says:

> Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
> covered by this License; they are outside its scope.  The act of
> running the Program is not restricted, and the output from the Program
> is covered only if its contents constitute a work based on the
> Program (independent of having been made by running the Program).

Besides that, there are more programs with other licenses that use
PAGS. Like Arla, Heimdal etc.

> Also, if you're referring to the user-defined key routines, you can't call them
> any more from a non-GPL module because they now use RCU, and you can't use RCU
> in OpenAFS because it's not GPL.

... while the sales persons at your favourite closed source company
laugh their asses off. See above: "The act of running a program is not
restricted". If we are not so stupid to restrict ourselves.

Harald.