[OpenAFS-devel] setgroups() fails to change pag under linux 2.6

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Mon, 24 Jul 2006 10:47:28 -0400

In message <FED35EC49EE275674179B0DE@sirius.fac.cs.cmu.edu>,Jeffrey Hutzelman w
rites:
>Well, actually there is still an issue.  The reason PAG's are only 24 bits
>wide is so that we can use the remaining bits to flag a particular value as
>being a PAG ID rather than a UID.  Since tokens, fileserver connections,
>and cached access rights can be associated with either, they have to belong
>to the same namespace.  We could fix this, of course, but it will take some
>doing.

once we do away with using groups to encode this information, i suspect
that we would no longer need to use 8 bits to indicate that this is
an afs pag.  the pag key will only contain a pag.

with the current code, i suspect one would get clever and use fewer bits
to detect the afs pag groups.  something like an ECC/cksum in the upper
4 bits instead of 'A' in the upper 8.  28 bits would wrap around in 3172
days (at one pag per second) instead of 194 days.