[OpenAFS-devel] Wierdness with Windows.

Deon George deon@wurley.net
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 08:34:00 +1000

Following on with my root.cell volume issue - I created a new volume to be my
root.cell - but it was called "newroot.cell". (I was having a lot of
difficulty renaming deleting the original "root.cell"). I had it mounted under
root.afs with my cell name.

All my Linux afs clients were fine - and they could see the new rebuilt volume
and its mounts.

However, my windows hosts could not see anything under \\afs\<cellname> (they
could see \\afs\cellname but it was blank).

My repeated attempts to reboot, apply fully write permissions, etc failed to
get them to see the afs tree (I have two windows hosts). I had deleted the AFS
cache file on one windows, and it didnt help either.

I eventually managed to delete the old "root.cell" and renamed the
"newroot.cell" to "root.cell" and the windows hosts started working again. Is
there something hard coded in windows looking for a "root.cell" volume?

Also, my windows hosts can see a \\afs\.<cellname> - but I havent recreated
that yet - going into that directory, it sees the same contents as
\\afs\<cellname>. Hows that working?

...deon