[OpenAFS-devel] AFS/NFS help

Chris Huebsch chris.huebsch@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 08:22:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Harald Barth wrote:

> I think you have Solaris (and only that) to chose from for NFS-SERVER.

I think that is only necessary if extended AFS re-export is needed
(extended means to use the files as an authenticated user and being able
to invoke AFS commands on the mounted NFS filesystem)
But only simple reexport with system:anyuser was asked for.

> I never succeeded with any thing else. So change the OS on your Server
> and your experience will be better. (for some value of "better").

My experiences with Linux and user-space NFS are excelent. (Based on
almost 5 years of using that combination. RH7.3, FC1 and SL4.)

$ mount -t nfs afs1:/afs /mnt
$ cd /mnt; ls
Andre  andre  andre.c.sn.schule.de
$ cd andre; ls
admin  bin  ftp  home  media  www
$ cd bin; ls
chacl  release  release.debian
$ head -3 chacl
#!/bin/csh -f

#
# Chacl: Change acl in directory tree.
#
$ mount|grep afs1
afs1:/afs              9000000         0   9000000   0% /mnt

I primarily use that NFS export to install my workstations with Redhat
Kickstart and Debian FAI. (FAI with AFS/NFS is a little bit difficult
though, because NFS-Root in AFS messes with special devices.)

But at the end, it works.

So please don't drive people into an other OS, if it's not really
essential. Administrating Solaris is not really an easy job.

Regards

Chris
--
Chris Huebsch    www.huebsch-gemacht.de | TU Chemnitz, Informatik, RNVS
GPG-Encrypted mail welcome! ID:7F2B4DBA |   Str. d. Nationen 62, B204