[OpenAFS-devel] Win2K AFS server config help; setting up harmless new test Unix server

Winnie Lacesso placesso@yahoo.ca
Tue, 30 May 2006 07:17:31 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings *,

This seems the most active openafs mailing list. I'm
posting here bcs no other openafs mailing list seems
active & I can't find the answers in the doc.

- I'm not a microsoft person & have inherited a
Win2000 AFS server. I can't tell if it runs BM AFS 3.6
or if that really is an early version of OpenAFS.

  From the AFS Server Manager, a number of volumes are
seen.

  On an AFS client, microsoft or Unix, directories
seen partially do & partially don't match what volumes
are seen on server.
  So there is a mapping somewhere between server
volumes & what clients see..
  Where is that config file, that mapping of what
volumes on the afs server get exported or viewed-as on
client machines? I can't find anything like it on the
  AFS server.

- I'd like to setup a new test Unix AFS server,
getting ready to migrate off win2k. Can someone
itemize all the openafs rpms to install on Unix server
& in what order? All the install docs are ancient &
assume you have an IBM AFS install CD. Is there a
modern install doc?

  - Is it safe to setup a new Unix test server with
some dummy/test cell name, which server is either
unknown to the planet, or known only as
un-production/off-limits? I don't want to cause ANY
problems/interference with  production AFS!

MANY**N thanks!
Winnie L / Physics Dept, Bristol University

PS If nothing else, could any mention of transarc.com
(which is now a porn site) be removed from all AFS
doc?