[OpenAFS-devel] Win2K AFS server config help; setting up harmless new test Unix server

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 30 May 2006 10:21:58 -0400

On Tuesday, May 30, 2006 07:17:31 AM -0400 Winnie Lacesso
<placesso@yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Greetings *,
>
> This seems the most active openafs mailing list

Yeah; that's not really the right criterion to use when deciding where to
ask a question.  This forum is for discussion related to OpenAFS
_development_.  Your question would be more appropriate for openafs-info.

> - I'm not a microsoft person & have inherited a
> Win2000 AFS server. I can't tell if it runs BM AFS 3.6
> or if that really is an early version of OpenAFS.

I assume you're missing an 'I' here.  It it claims to be running AFS 3.6,
it probably is.  Anything that old is riddled with bugs, and should be
upgraded.  However, it is worth noting that while there are people running
fileservers on Windows, that code is not very well tested and doesn't
receive much maintenance, even in current versions.  For now, I'd avoid
Windows machines as fileservers.

>   From the AFS Server Manager, a number of volumes are
> seen.
>
>   On an AFS client, microsoft or Unix, directories
> seen partially do & partially don't match what volumes
> are seen on server.
>   So there is a mapping somewhere between server
> volumes & what clients see..
>   Where is that config file, that mapping of what
> volumes on the afs server get exported or viewed-as on
> client machines? I can't find anything like it on the
>   AFS server.

There is no config file, and for that matter, no "exporting" -- the AFS
fileserver is a black box, and the _only_ way to access files stored in AFS
is through the AFS filesystem client.  That means you always get a
consistent view of the filesystem, no matter where you are.

As Chris explained, in addition to ordinary files and directorys, AFS can
also contain "mount points", which are points in the filesystem where
another volume is grafted into the tree.  Once a mount point is created, it
gets followed automatically - there is no action that needs to be taken on
each client to make it work.  So, again, you get a consistent view of the
filesystem.  The downside is that there's easy no way to list all the
places that a volume is mounted - if you want to know that, you need to
search the known universe for mount points.

> PS If nothing else, could any mention of transarc.com
> (which is now a porn site) be removed from all AFS
> doc?

This is something that comes up from time to time, usually in mail to
webmaster.  The IBM AFS documentation is reproduced verbatim and, in some
cases, in presentation formats for which we don't have the original source.
For those cases where it is technically possible to modify the
documentation to remove references to transarc.com, it remains up to the
OpenAFS gatekeepers to decide whether they wish to do so.

-- Jeff