[OpenAFS-devel] [CSL #301175] openafs-1.4.1 kernel panics

David Thompson thomas@cs.wisc.edu
Tue, 30 May 2006 09:45:50 -0500

Rainer Toebbicke wrote:

>We are actually seeing similar crashes on our multi-access machines.
>Now, we *are* already running with Hartmut Reuter's patch that reduces
>the saved tokens to what is actually needed. So there is something else.
>
>With kdump (I believe the more recent ones compile correctly at least
>on i386) you can find out how many PAGs are in use, 'kdump -users'
>shows something like over 2000 on some of our systems which I find
>surprising.
>
>I wonder if there is a problem with PAG garbage collection. But even
>without Hartmut's patch the amount of space actually wasted is
>worrying but should not be fatal.

Yes, we have a system in place that monitors (using kdump) and de-authenticates unused pags (which we assume are then de-allocated by the cache manager GC mechanism).  Even so, on this system we typically run with ~1000 authenticated pags at any given time (it's a mail server).  And as I mentioned in another post, pags are being created and retired at a rate of many per minute.

Dave