[OpenAFS-devel] .35 sec rx delay bug?

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri, 03 Nov 2006 15:26:51 -0500

>i mentioned that a few month ago, if you configure the network, client and
>server right and you have the right HW in place you can get to ~ 50
>Mbyte/sec from Client to Server over Gigabit. and btw. i saw that delay
>bug too and i can confirm that it has something to do with the HW you use,
>if that helps i only saw it on fast SMP boxes ..

I'm not doubting you ... but I only have four things to add:

- I can't reproduce your results ... and I'm not even coming close.
- No one has been able to explain to me what you need to do to configure
  your client, server, and hardware to get those results.
- 50 Mbyte/sec is only 40% of theoretical ... which I would call
  "not wonderful".  I can get TCP easily up much higher, and that's mostly
  out of the box.
- If the bug happens on fast SMP boxes, that makes me think things will get
  worse as systems get faster.

--Ken