[OpenAFS-devel] fsync/nofsync performance numbers on Solaris

Christopher D. Clausen cclausen@acm.org
Fri, 10 Nov 2006 05:47:44 -0600

Robert Banz <banz@umbc.edu> wrote:
> I know this isn't a super-scientific test, but, I wanted to get an
> idea of what sort of write performance changes you see on Solaris
> with different filesystems, using, or not using fsync()'ing all over
> the fileserver...
> [snip]
> Yes, that really is a 4x performance boost on writes.  w00t, as the
> kids say...

Being one of these "w00t" saying kids, I can state similar speed
improvements in vos moves between our servers, which are now nearly all
running 1.4.2 namei + fsync patches on sun4x_510 (with the single
exception of a lone Debian machine using back ported 1.4.2 packages
without mods.)  Volume moves of certain largish volumes with lots of
small files used to take literaly 3 hours and the vos move time has now
been reduced to a few minutes or in some cases 10s of seconds.  A
significant improvement.  I'm all for getting these patches into the 1.5
branch and into a stable release at some point in time.  We have not
encountered any problems as a result of these fsync mods and hope others
are willing to try them out as well.

<<CDC
--
Christopher D. Clausen