[OpenAFS-devel] Sun patch 118833-23 breaks precompiled 1.4.1 module for Solaris 10

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 01:21:42 -0400

On Wednesday, September 20, 2006 01:00:06 AM -0400 Dale Ghent
<daleg@umbc.edu> wrote:

> Douglas E. Engert wrote:
>> This sounds similiar to the attached e-mail from April.
>>
>> It looks like it has ben fixed in the source,
>> http://www.openafs.org/cgi-bin/wdelta/sol10u2-rename-20060703
>> i.e.
>> replaced VN_SETPATH with vn_setpath in src/afs/SOLARIS/osi_vnodeops.c
>
> There are other private vnode_t fields which the solaris afs client
> accesses directly (see sys/vnode.h for a list)
>
> v_path was one of them

Actually, comments from the CR that resulted in vn_path() being unexported
indicate that filesystems are expected to refer to v_path directly.
Another CR has been filed to correct the problem; if that is accepted, then
perhaps a future version of the Solaris patch will undo the removal,
allowing existing OpenAFS releases to work as long as you skip the broken
patch version(s).  Of course, I don't speak (or even work) for Sun, so I
can't make any promises.  In the meantime, the issue is also corrected in
OpenAFS, so 1.4.2 should not have this particular problem.

Note that Sun doesn't provide guarantees about binary compatibility of the
VFS interface, and there have been changes in the past.  However, some of
us have contacts within Sun and we're working to try to establish a more
formal relationship that will allow the OpenAFS project to receive
notification when Sun is planning changes to this interface.

-- Jeff