[OpenAFS-devel] Max /vicep partition size?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 02 Feb 2007 10:32:02 -0500

On Thursday, February 01, 2007 11:45:53 PM -0500 Derrick J Brashear
<shadow@dementia.org> wrote:

> Which platform do you have where afs_int32 isn't the same type as int?
>
> On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Sean O'Malley wrote:
>
>> volser/vsprocs.c
>> int
>> UV_PartitionInfo()
>> {
>> afs_int32 code;
>>
>> return code;
>> }
>>
>> which should technically be returning an afs_int32 shouldnt it?
>> more like the VolPartitionInfo() from volser/volprocs.c
>
> Now, int versus unsigned int (afs_uint32 if you prefer...)

... is still not a problem, because we're talking about an error code, not
the partition size.  com_err error codes are signed values, and while they
are 32 bits wide, UV_PartitionInfo is a local API, not an RPC, so provided
the prototype is present (which it is), you'll be fine even on the rare
system on which 'int' is 64 bits (as someone else pointed out, int will not
be smaller than 32 bits on any system on which AFS runs).

-- Jeff