[OpenAFS-devel] linux-and-locks-cleanup-20070202 crashes linux kernels older than 2.6.17 (see RT #53457)

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Fri, 09 Feb 2007 15:09:21 -0500

On Thursday, February 08, 2007 02:53:42 PM -0500 Marcus Watts
<mdw@umich.edu> wrote:

> Although that will fix the kernel api problem, it may not completely
> fix flock behavior.  When Matt and I last looked at this
> (very briefly) we couldn't convince ourselves that this would do the
> right thing in all cases - we couldn't figure out looking at the
> above code how it was supposed to wait for local locks.
> Turning off FL_SLEEP turns off that wait, so it seems
> like the only wait possible is the one for the whole
> file lock from the server.

afs_lockctl doesn't just make the RPC, it handles all of the
platform-independent lock management, including contention between local
processes.  The code in question is exactly analogous to how we already
handle POSIX locks, including clearing FL_SLEEP.

I agree some restructuring is in order here, but in a somewhat longer
timeframe than this release.

-- Jeff