[OpenAFS-devel] Re: System lockup with do_IRQ: stack overflow (SOMEWHAT RESOLVED)

Deon George deon@wurley.net
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:51:54 +1100

Gang,

I was under the suspicion that it was the atrpm build of the openafs
kernel module that was causing my systems to lock up with do_IRQ: stack
overflow.

To test this, I removed the openafs kernel module on my FC6 system
(which was sourced from atrpms) and built the openafs 1.4.2 module
myself (rpmbuild --rebuild openafs-1.4.2-rhel4.1.src.rpm --define
"build_modules 1") . I've been hammering the machine all day with the
new module and it hasnt missed a beat. :) I've only been testing for a
few hours - but it is a good sign - the machine would normally lockup
within a few minutes...

I want to do the same thing to my RHEL5 system (to be absolutely sure
that it is atrpms compilation that is my problem) - but I cant get the
kernel module to build - the build keeps failing with:

FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module openafs.ko uses GPL-only symbol
'tasklist_lock'

I've tried both 1.4.2 and 1.4.3rc2 - without success...

Axel, I dont know why your openafs kmdl is causing my lockup - I tried
rebuilding your src.rpm, but I guess I need some configs or something,
as the rpmbuild --rebuild failed with a "%kmdl error" (cant remember the
actual message). But I thought you might like to know anyway.

For your reference, I'm running a:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ with 32bit RHEL5 (and 32bit FC6). The
openafs components I have installed from your site are:
openafs-1.4.2-20.el4.92.at
openafs-kmdl-2.6.18-1.2747.el5-1.4.2-20.el4.92.at
openafs-client-1.4.2-20.el4.92.at
openafs-server-1.4.2-20.el4.92.at

The server is fine - its the client that causes the lockup.

...deon