[OpenAFS-devel] Re: System lockup with do_IRQ: stack overflow (SOMEWHAT RESOLVED)

Daniel J. Priem daniel@flexserv.de
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 17:40:06 +0100

Deon George <deon@wurley.net> writes:

> Gang,
>
> I was under the suspicion that it was the atrpm build of the openafs
> kernel module that was causing my systems to lock up with do_IRQ: stack
> overflow.
>
> To test this, I removed the openafs kernel module on my FC6 system
> (which was sourced from atrpms) and built the openafs 1.4.2 module
> myself (rpmbuild --rebuild openafs-1.4.2-rhel4.1.src.rpm --define
> "build_modules 1") . I've been hammering the machine all day with the
> new module and it hasnt missed a beat. :) I've only been testing for a
> few hours - but it is a good sign - the machine would normally lockup
> within a few minutes...
>
> I want to do the same thing to my RHEL5 system (to be absolutely sure
> that it is atrpms compilation that is my problem) - but I cant get the
> kernel module to build - the build keeps failing with:
>
> FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module openafs.ko uses GPL-only symbol
> 'tasklist_lock'

rebuild your kernel with this patch against
/usr/src/linux/scripts/mod/modpost.c

1109c1109
<               fatal("modpost: GPL-incompatible module %s%s "
---
>               warn("modpost: GPL-incompatible module %s%s "
1113c1113
<               fatal("modpost: GPL-incompatible module %s%s "
---
>               warn("modpost: GPL-incompatible module %s%s "

> I've tried both 1.4.2 and 1.4.3rc2 - without success...
>
> Axel, I dont know why your openafs kmdl is causing my lockup - I tried
> rebuilding your src.rpm, but I guess I need some configs or something,
> as the rpmbuild --rebuild failed with a "%kmdl error" (cant remember the
> actual message). But I thought you might like to know anyway.
>
> For your reference, I'm running a:
> AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ with 32bit RHEL5 (and 32bit FC6). The

i think the 64bit is the problem here.

--
 .''`.
 : :' :      Daniel J. Priem